Serves can be made or broken by the height and speed of the toss. Here, in our first Tip of the Day, are a few simple steps to make sure you’re not left red-faced on the court.
- Keep your throwing arm as relaxed as possible.
- Imagine you’re tossing an egg – keep the ball on the ends of your fingertips before releasing it and avoid bending your arm.
- Throw the ball slightly in front of you, not straight up. This means you can fully extend and hit over the ball.
- Release the ball at chest height
- Watch the ball at all times, instead of dropping your head as you release it.
For visual tips for perfecting your toss technique, check out the following Tennis Now video:
So you’ve got the toss sorted, but what about the rest of the serve? Have a peruse of the three best videos showing how to serve